Add These Things to Your Itinerary of Things to Do in Gros Morne!
In Newfoundland, adventure for me means Gros Morne National Park. Gros Morne adventures are as varied as the province’s landscape itself. For anyone looking for thrills, theatre, geological wonders, ocean tours, kayaking and canoeing trips, Gros Morne is the place to be! Set among beaches and bogs, fjords, ocean, forests, mountains and barren cliffs, Gros Morne, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, was formed from continents colliding and glaciers grinding the land. Being shaped by such fury, the things to do in Gros Morne will be unique experiences suited to a variety of tastes, ages, and endurance levels.
Among the many Gros Morne adventures open to you, exploring a magnificent and dramatic landscape and coastline tops for many the list of exciting things to do in Gros Morne. Maybe you want a relaxing and comfortable holiday; you want to experience the culture of the province, and in particular the Gros Morne area! If so, the theatre community in Cow Head and Woody Point has just the thing for you. When choosing your Gros Morne adventures, make sure you include some of these top things to do in Gros Morne:
- Feast your eyes on a marine wonderland as you tour around Bonne Bay aboard one of the boats operated by Bon Tours. Watch for whales, dolphin, eagles and other sea birds. Marvel at the diverse landscape surrounding you.
- Be amazed as you join the Western Brook Pond Boat Tour where you will witness spectacular and breathtaking scenery. Take in the amazing fjords surrounded by towering glacial carved cliffs about 2000 ft. high. Have your camera ready for sightings of the cliff nesting gulls and eagles!
- Paddle a canoe or kayak for fun things to do in Gros Morne; explore the coastline, sail into sheltered harbours, and watch for wildlife.
- Capture the best views of the park from atop Gros Morne Mountain. Be prepared for one of the great Gros Morne adventures as you undertake the strenuous six to seven hour hike, but the view of Ten Mile Pond, coastal lowlands and interior barrens will be worth the hiking effort.
- Pack your camera for spectacular scenery everywhere in the park. Lighthouses found many places in the park make for great photo opportunities.
- Educate yourself about the amazing geology of the park as you take the two hour Trout River Pond boat tour. The world famous Tablelands in the southern part of Gros Morne, between Woody Point and Trout River, is a picturesque geology lesson in itself. It is an ‘alien-like landscape’ about 260 million years old created when tectonic plates collided.
- Wild about wilderness camping? Take the long but easy hike to camp overnight at the wilderness campground at Snug Harbour. With five campgrounds in the park, you can have your share of overnight camping so that you can explore the ocean, ponds, or rivers and meadows.
- Last, but not least, are the amazing creative talents of a group of people showcasing the culture of Newfoundland. Sit and enjoy an evening at The Gros Morne Theatre Festival, a major Canadian Theatre Festival based in the community of Cow Head.
Gros Morne adventures are those things that can push your limits or add to your leisure and make for a relaxing holiday. The choice is yours!